Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Making Plans, and Changing Them

I had lofty plans last night, plans I was excited about. I’d come home, whip together a quick dinner, and head upstairs to my office/studio for some serious crafting until bedtime.

But when I got home, I could tell that my husband had a rough day. He looked tired, and stressed, and a bit on edge. And I could tell that what he needed was some good wifeing.

You see, I’ve been inspired lately by Domestic Fasionista’s series about serving her husband, and so I’ve been making a more concerted effort to serve my husband in a mindful, nurturing way. Well, suffice it to say when I saw how furrowed his brow was last night, I knew that the right thing for me to do was change my plans and give him some attention.

So what did I do? I changed gears. Instead of a quick dinner and escaping upstairs, I went through the house and picked up all the clutter while Ryan was finishing up some work. I cleaned up the kitchen, and set to work on a nice dinner for the two of us instead of the quickie dinner I had planned. Nothing special, pork chops with onions, mushrooms, and garlic, roasted cauliflower, and baked sweet potatoes. But he loved it.

I poured us each a glass of wine for dinner and really listened when he talked about his day.

Did I finish a project? No. But do I feel really good about what I accomplished last night? You bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment